Air Push Notifictions

So basicly we have to pay a 3rd party company to use push notifactions right?  isnt there any free api's out there?  I am very disapointed in the way push was implamented. 

Comments

• edited November 2012
    AirBop is a separate service that is available to all Android developers, however it was made by the same team that made Andromo.

A push notification service at this level needs to keep track of millions of devices and handle all their requests without ever compromising on security or reliability. It needs to perform at the highest level possible in order to handle requests from the users of thousands of apps at any given time, from all around the globe.

Implementing AirBop required cutting edge server technologies and a lot of time spent researching and testing in order to build a platform that is powerful and efficient enough to scale to billions of devices.

Services at this level of performance cost money because their operating costs aren't cheap.

• So what your saying is that the team at andromo made a service that is integrated into Andromo and we still have to pay a separate charge for it?  That is TOTAL BS!!!!   Very disappointed!!!!!
  • edited November 2012
    Well I see why development on Andromo slowed to a halt, you were making a new service to charge us for... 

I understand not everything can be free, but you do have a paying customer base @ Andromo and you're always saying you are a small team and can only do but so much, then why take time away from a product that your paying customers are counting on you to continue to develop / improve and use that time to create a another monthly service... Oh yeah I know why.

To quote Lorne ... "Implementing AirBop required cutting edge server technologies and a lot of time spent researching and testing in order to build a platform that is powerful and efficient enough to scale to billions of devices."

So don't tell us that it didn't take time away from Andromo when you just said how much it took to create it.

Andromo gets new features such as PDF (intents only and not a real reader because you didn't have the time to do a real PDF reader), while the push service gets developed. 

There are features people have been asking for... for many months like copy an existing project for instance, something that would have been a lot easier than making a push service, yet nothing.... Please hire more people and separate the development of the two products.

• @straybullet I just wanted to add that push notifications have been one of the most requested features since we launched Andromo.

True some new feature may have been easier to implement, but that doesn't mean that they are as useful or as requested.

Thanks for the comments.

mark.
  • Mark.. "push notifications have been one of the most requested features since we launched Andromo"...  yeah I'm pretty sure Andromo users were requesting it as part of Andromo not as an extra service.. Go figure
  • @straybullet Agreed. However, there would have been an additional charge for the Push Notifications regardless of how they were implemented or integrated.

Given that fact, I'm not sure why it's problematic that AirBop is a separate service? The Andromo code base was of course updated to interact with AirBop and GCM, for registrations and unregistrations, as well as the ability to create notifications and handle incoming messages.

Basically what we did was integrate a third party service into Andromo in order to be able offer push notifications to our users, which is similar to what we did with AdMob and Analytics only in this situation the third party service is our own.

Hopefully that explains the service and why we chose to implement it in the way we did.

mark.