Amazon Mobile Associate API

edited August 2013 in Suggestions
Hey guys,

I'm sure many of you received this e-mail from Amazon:
Until today, developers have only had three methods to monetize their
apps or games: selling them outright, going "freemium" with in-app
purchasing or subscriptions, or using mobile ads. Starting now, Amazon
has created a new method for developers to monetize: the Amazon Mobile
Associates API, currently available for Android (including Kindle Fire).

This sounds fantastic! Mark, Lorne - if you guys could have a look at this and maybe implement it in Andromo, that would be awesome. :)
Tagged:

Comments

• My only concern would be with the Google Play in-app purchases policy, I didn't see any reference to it on the Amazon site so I'd have to look deeper.

It seems to be given what the Google Developer Content Policy says regarding physical goods:
    • Developers offering additional content, services or functionality within another category of app downloaded from Google Play must use Google Play's in-app billing service as the method of payment, except:
      • where payment is primarily for physical goods or services (e.g. buying movie tickets, or buying a publication where the price also includes a hard copy subscription); or
      • where payment is for digital content or goods that may be consumed outside of the application itself (e.g. buying songs that can be played on other music players).
  • Hey Mark, thanks for answering.

If the app would be published on Amazon exclusively, would this also be a problem?

Amazon had a webinar yesterday, but since I'm not a programmer, I didn't attend it, because I would not understand all that stuff around API's. However, this is what they were talking about:

The Amazon In-App Purchase API lets you sell digital content
    and subscriptions--such as in-game currency, expansion packs, upgrades,
    magazine issues and more--from within your apps.

Join this webinar to learn more about:

• The innocent mistakes developers make when going from an app using Google In App Billing (IAB) to an app using Amazon In App Purchasing (IAP)
    • The sneaky differences between Google IAB and Amazon IAP
    • The little-known Google IAB code you should remove when you implement the Amazon IAP API
    • And so much more...

Maybe they've addressed those issues you have concerns about.

• @Mark
    The bits you have highlighted are what Google allow, not what the don't allow :) 
  • edited August 2013
    @hendrixs I'm sure that they have the information somewhere, I'll have to dig deeper.

@corrsea Correct, that is what I was trying to say (probably poorly) that if the Affiliate plan is dealing in goods that are consumed outside of the app it should be fine, but without really looking into all aspects of Amazon's new program violating in app purchase policy would be the concern of mine.
  • Sorry Mark,
    I thought you had missed the "except"
  • @corrsea No worries, my response wasn't that clear!