Send SMS through the App

edited November 2012 in General Discussion
I like to preload text so app-users can click the link and the text will automatically load into the phone. Using the standard code <a href="sms:?body=mytext">mytext</a> it doesnt work. Please advise on how to enable this very important feature.

Thanks Rene
Tagged:

Comments

• Does that link work in your mobile browser? If so, you could host it in a web page and view that web page in the native browser by providing a link for your users to follow.

I don't think Andromo is currently set up to handle links using the sms protocol. It's not something we'd want to enable in all builds, since I believe it requires additional permissions for the app which might scare off some users.
  • "Does that link work in your mobile browser? If so, you could host it in a
    web page and view that web page in the native browser by providing a
    link for your users to follow.
    "

Unfortunatly it does not work in the native browser. If you visite the webpage I´m using the code by typing in the url in the mobile browser everything works fine. But that is not the way I would like to go. If I only want to provide web-apps I dont need to pay for andromo.

"I don't think Andromo is currently set up to handle links using the sms
    protocol. It's not something we'd want to enable in all builds, since I
    believe it requires additional permissions for the app which might scare
    off some users.
    "

I dont think that will be a good decision. Every successful app on GooglePlay (and App Store as well) requires lots of permissions users will accept to get best app experience. So I feel it need to be to decide from the members of andromo and not andromo themselves. Its just a matter of time people will switch to other plattforms providing lots of more native features than andromo does. (My view).

Please understand me right, I like andromo and I´m using it for my apps. But think about the awesome success of whatsapp e.g. - we need to provide sms,photo and mms as additional feature to build standard apps.

Thanks
    Rene
  • I think you misunderstood, Rene. What I meant was that if we add support for "sms:" URIs, it would probably need to be something that you enable in your project settings, so the permissions would not be added to all Andromo apps -- only to the ones that wanted it.