US tax return form Amazon- help please

edited March 2014 in General Discussion
HI all,
Yesterday I received tax return form from Amazon. IT is called Foregin Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. Form 1042-s 2013.
Any of you know what is it? Is that only for info purposes or should I do something? There are 3 peaces of it. Copy B, C and D. There is also strange Gross income column stating 174.00 while I earn with Amazon about .... €5 !!!

Should I be worried?



  • I was notified by my parents that a same letter is waiting for me at home. :) I'll be able to have a look at it tomorrow and talk things over with my accountant in a few days, but I'm not sure, if she has experience with US taxes.

    @sylviathewitch is our resident expert on these issues. Without her I'd still be trying to obtain that EIN. ;) Sylvia, did you also receive this and if yes, would you care to share how you handled it? Thanks.
  • I have EIN
  • Yes, I got it too.
    You would need to fill a 1040-NR tax form,-U.S.-Nonresident-Alien-Income-Tax-Return

    attach the 1042-s (the tax form you got from amazon)

    and mail it to
    Internal Revenue Service

    P.O. Box 1300

    Charlotte, NC 28201-1300

    You will get a check in a couple of weeks.

    @f1_fan: the important part is "total withholding credit" and if that is only like $5, I would just forget it and sponsor Uncle Sam :-)

  • Thanks, @sylviathewitch, this really helps a lot! I'll try to go through these documents later today and see if I'm going to be able to decipher them. :)

    Thanks again, much appreciated.
  • @sylviathewitch: thank you very much. So basically I don't need to worry about it. Ufff thanks
  • Anybody besides me actually live in the U.S.? :) It looks like Amazon actually put the "free" Kindle Fires on the tax form (as a separate item from the rest of the income). And I seem to have gotten a form from Google for Admob, but not for app sales, so I had to figure out how much I got from them to report it separately (which is not an easy task with the way their reporting works).
  • @ tholyoak When did you receive the Amazon tax form(1099-Misc, I am guessing)? I am yet to see anything from amazon. I am in U.S as well.
  • @koirbiku, I received the 1099-MISC forms in January. I actually got one from "Amazon Digital Services" and one from "Amazon Services Europe." The app income was listed under "Royalties" and the Kindle Fire was under "Other Income."
  • It's only now that I decided to tackle with this document.

    @sylviathewitch: On this form it states that my gross income was 174 USD and the tax rate is 30%. However, my Earnings Before Tax were around 1.200,00 USD and the Tax Withheld was around 370 USD (based on Amazon's Payment Reports on their website).

    So why would they put 174 USD as my Gross Income? And I'm eligible to get those 370 USD back? I would appreciate some help. Thanks!
  • edited May 2014
    Hi hendrixs,
    I got 2 different 1042s from amazon.
    One shows the correct amount and the other one shows $174.00 (same as yours, interesting, ...)

    Not sure, what this $174.00 is all about, but I will leave this aside - especially since it does not show any "witholding credit" and only use the correct 1042s to file the return.

    Edit: It just occurred to me! This $174.00 is for the Kindle they gave us!!!
    Just ignore it and only use the other one!

  • @sylviathewitch: Thanks for your help! Finally I can take off this "US Tax Return" thing from my to-do list. :) I'm terribly slow when it comes to this stuff.

    I never received any other 1042s form. The "$174 USD" is the only one I got. Well, maybe next year.

    Again, your help with these taxes is much appreciated.
  • @sylviathewitch thanks I thought it is Kindle also
  • Hello,

    here's my 1042-S form:

    I received in total 9 documents like that. Some of them have 5% and some 30% tax rate, while some have none. The total amount of federal tax withheld is around 350 USD.

    I'll fill out the 1040-NR form as @sylviathewitch suggest and let's see what happens. Anyone else in the same boat? :)
Sign In or Register to comment.