Used Andromo to redo an app, now issue with signing certificate

edited December 2014 in General Discussion
Hi,

I have created an app to replace one that was made previously with the Android eclipse system.

When uploading it as a new version of the app I get the following message.

>>

Upload failed

You uploaded an APK
that is signed with a different certificate to your previous APKs. You
must use the same certificate. Your existing APKs are signed with the
certificate(s) with fingerprint(s):

<<< 

It then lists long numbers and say that Your APK needs to have the package name xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

How I can proceed to use the newly created Andromo app as a new version of the old one? 

I see I can alter the name of the package. Would that be enough?

Thanks

Jonathan

Comments

• It is not possible to replace an existing app with another app that has a different signing certificate in Google Play. Google Play will only let you upload an app with the same package name if it has the same signing certificate.

Changing the package name effectively creates a different app in Google Play.

You will need to upload the app as a separate app with a unique package name, and inform your users about the new version (for example in the old app's description on Google Play).

• @theflaneur: In addition to what @lorne said, you can also put an icon in your old app linking to your new app.
  • Thanks for the advice. This is what I feared - although I only started fearing it once I'd built the new app :(

• just make a new one with the old concept. andromo is the best one to make it happen. hope this helps. check my app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andromo.dev326540.app368995