Large app size

Mine is a photo app of wildflowers, currently under development. It now contains only one-quarter of the photos I intend to include, but the app is already in excess of 20 MB. Can someone suggest how best to hold down the size of the app? Perhaps reduce the size of each photo (I have used Andromo's recommended sizes). Perhaps use a format other than JPG? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Hi,

I don't do wallpaper's yet, so I'm keeping my pics at 500x300 px in JPG format with "High" (8) quality in the imag editing program. This reduces the size to about 100 kb/picture.
  • Thank you. That helps. I had been using recommended size, 1024 x 1024, so am reducing that to 512 x 512. We'll see if that is enough when I compile next time.
  • It is always best to optimise your images using photoshop if you can ("Save for web & devices" option).  I'm sure there are free image optimise software out there, try download.com

It's always best to try and keep images large and let them naturally scale down to fit the screen size rather than risk images scaling up or appearing small, particularly important if your  users are able to use them as wallpapers.

If your users can share your photo's it may be a good idea to include a small tag in the very corner of each image (very subtle) of your name - that way if anyone shares your images you get your credit.

Good luck (from a fellow user)