Andromo v1.6 - New Audio Activity for Music Players and Soundboards

edited December 2011 in Announcements

Andromo v1.6 was released on December 21, 2011!

The new Audio Activity lets you easily create Android apps that feature Music Players and Soundboards. It's perfect for anyone wanting to add music tracks, sound effects and other audio assets to their Android app. You can even stream MP3 files from web URL's!

The Audio Activity opens up thousands of possibilities, and it's super easy to use. Just upload your tracks, customize the player and click Build!

Two Modes

The Audio activity supports two different player modes: Music Player, and Sound Board.

Music Player
The Music Player mode is intended for presenting your audio as an album of songs or playlist. It is a more appropriate interface when you're presenting longer tracks where the ability to pause and seek is useful.

• media controls are visible (the Play/Pause button, seek bar, etc.)
  • when one track finishes, the next track automatically begins playing by default
  • the currently playing track will continue to play when you exit the activity

Here is an example of an Audio activity in Music Player mode:

Sound Board
The Sound Board mode presents your audio as a list of sounds. It is a more appropriate interface when you're presenting short sounds where pausing and seeking are not important.

• no media controls
  • when one track finishes, playback ends by default
  • the currently playing track is stopped when you exit the activity

Here is an example of an Audio activity in Sound Board mode:

Supported Audio Formats

The Audio activity supports several audio formats built into the Android platform. Which specific formats are supported varies a bit between Android versions (and to a lesser extent also from one device to another).

Some of the supported formats include:

• .mp3 (up to 320 kbps)
  • .ogg (Vorbis)
  • .wav (8- and 16-bit linear PCM)
  • .mp4, .m4a (up to 160 kbps)
  • .mid, .xmf, etc. (MIDI Type 0 and 1)
  • .aac (only on Android 3.1 and newer)
  • .flac (only on Android 3.1 and newer)

Note that some formats are only supported on newer devices. You should always test your media files on one or more Android devices to ensure compatibility for your users.

Read more here:

Comments

• Feel free to use my Earth Songs Fan App as an example of what a band can have built for them.

apman

• Please add .pls file support this would make your app maker the best on the net I am sure many would agree that you guys should add .pls support for shoutcast streaming PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!
  • This would be a huge help to have the ability to stream .pls  I agree. right now the user has to have a seperate program on their device in order for products made here to work and hangs up alot.

I hope to see this in the future for sure.

• I have 2 long sound tracks on my app, it seems you cannot simply switch between the two. Very restricting!

• Someone else trying to get streaming audio to work. In fact, Andromo won't be useful to me until it does.
  • We're working on .pls and .m3u playlist support right now...

>> I have 2 long sound tracks on my app, it seems you cannot simply switch between the two. Very restricting!

What do you mean by this? You can switch tracks by tapping the track name...
  • Actually, Andromo already supports streaming audio. Progressive streaming -- playing an MP3 as it downloads from a web server -- should already work on all devices.

Support for live streaming, though, was not added to Android devices until version 3.1.

Live streaming is when audio is streamed live over the Internet, like a live concert or a radio station. This is technically already supported in Andromo, so long as your device has live streaming enabled.

Right now, the only devices that support LIVE streaming are tablets running Honeycomb, or the very latest phones running Android 4.0 ("Ice Cream Sandwich"), like the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

• edited February 2012
    Is there any possibility of adding an optional 'save' button for streamed audio? I have the first inklings of an idea for an app, and I have no problem in streaming 320kbps MP3 material from our site - but I'd like to give app users the option of saving the MP3s as well as just listening when they have a fast enough connection.

Or am I missing something already?
  • ACK!  No live streaming (SHOUTcast MP3 or SHOUTcast AAC) for Droid 2.3.4 (Bionic)

Any suggestions?
  • Actually SHOUTcast MP3 should work -- from what I understand it uses MPEG3 progressive streaming, which was supported on Android since 2.2.

So if you have a direct link to a SHOUTcast MP3 stream, it should already work.

Andromo doesn't support .m3u and .pls playlist files yet, but that is currently being worked on. :)
  • Hi

Is there some way I can make a soundboard activity play an uploaded MP3 directly, without presenting the user with the  list of audio files?

In fact, I just want to present an image button that plays an MP3 when clicked..

thanks!

• Is there some way I can make a soundboard activity play an uploaded MP3
    directly, without presenting the user with the  list of audio files?
    Sorry, there currently is no way to do that in Andromo. You can of course create an audio activity with a single audio track in the list, but you cannot replace the list with an icon or anything like that.
  • Can the sound board play songs longer than 4mins?
  • It can play songs of any length, but there are limits to the size of file you can upload in your Andromo project.

Note that although it can play longer files, since the soundboard doesn't give the user an interface to control seeking or stopping the audio file, it might not be appropriate to do so.

Your app must also be under 50 MB total size if you want to upload it to Google Play.
  • hi.

i have made music app with using firebase.

i have question all time i add song in app i have to build it again?i can build only ones and publish on app store.

how can i add song and automatic will be update in build app.

This discussion has been closed.