Make an App without Coding - Get a Free Kindle Fire HD...

edited August 2013 in Announcements

As you may know Andromo was recently updated to support the Amazon Mobile Ads ad network, giving you another way to monetize your Andromo apps. But what you may not know is that just by adding Amazon Mobile Ads to your Andromo app you may quality for a free Kindle Fire HD tablet from Amazon.

So, not only is there another Ad network that can increase your
revenue, you can get yourself a tablet for the low, low, cost of free.

You can read more about Amazon’s free tablet offer on the Amazon Mobile Ads API website, plus I have included the relevant fine print below:

Terms and Conditions of Kindle Fire HD Offer:

1. To qualify for a free Kindle Fire HD, 7” display, 16 GB, with
    special offers, app developers must meet all of the terms and conditions
    of this offer.
  2. This offer begins at 12:01 a.m. (PT) September 15th, 2013 and ends at 11:59 p.m. (PT) October 19th, 2013 (the “Offer Period”).
  3. A “Qualifying App” is any mobile app that has integrated the Amazon
    Mobile Ads API and is submitted to the Amazon Mobile App Distribution
    Portal between and including July 25th and September 1st, 2013. Apps
    that have sent ad requests to Amazon using the Amazon Mobile Ads API
    prior to July 25, 2013 are not Qualifying Apps.
  4. A developer’s Qualifying Apps must send at least 500 ad requests
    every week during the Offer Period. (Each week begins at 12:01a Sunday
    and ends at 11:59p Saturday.) This offer is only open to developers who
    send the required number of ad requests for the entire Offer Period.
  5. A developer may use a single Qualifying App or multiple Qualifying
    Apps to generate the 500 weekly ad requests as long as the Qualifying
    Apps are registered to a single developer account.
  6. Limit one free Kindle Fire HD device per developer.
  7. Offer good while supplies last.
  8. Qualifying Apps must meet the Mobile Ad Network Program Participation Requirements.
  9. Developers must agree and adhere to the Program Materials License Agreement and the Mobile Ad Network Publisher Agreement to qualify for this offer.
  10. Qualifying developers must be reachable through the email addresses registered on the Distribution Portal.

Amazon will attempt to ship the Kindle Fire HD device to qualifying
    developers in the U.S. and other countries. However, Amazon is not
    responsible for customs or taxes required for international deliveries.
  11. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time in its discretion.
  12. This offer is void where prohibited.

What does this mean for Andromo developers?

This means that if you are an Andromo developer who can generate 500 ad
impressions per week (either in one app or spread over many) you qualify for a
free Kindle Fire HD.

Having trouble generating 500 ad impressions in one week? Here are 10 steps you can take to improve your app, boost downloads, and make more money.

What do developers need to do in order to qualify for the free Kindle Fire HD?

In order to qualify for the free tablet you need do a few things:

1. Sign up for an Amazon Mobile developer account.

Bonus: The normal $99.00 fee for a developer account is currently being waved so this account is FREE
    (just like the tablet). Even if you don’t want the tablet I recommend
    that you sign up for an account now, and save yourself $99.00.

2. Add Amazon Mobiles Ads to one or more of your apps between July 25th and September 1st 2013.

Note: In order to display Amazon Mobile Ads in an app, that app must be available in the Amazon Appstore. Don’t forget to switch your target to “Amazon Appstore” when building the version of your app destined for the Amazon Appstore. Detailed information on targeting the Amazon Appstore can be found in the Making Kindle Fire apps with Andromo knowledge base article and information on adding Amazon Mobile Ads to your app can be found in the Setting Up Amazon Mobile Ads article.

3. Generate 500, or more, Amazon Mobile ad requests (across all apps) each week between September 15th and October 19, 2013.
  4. Collect your free tablet.

What are the caveats?

The only issue to be aware of is that Amazon Mobile Ads currently only
serve impressions to U.S. users. You can still sign-up if you live
outside of the U.S. (like me) but the ads themselves will only be
delivered to those within the U.S. This isn’t that big of a deal for
Andromo developers because Andromo apps will always fall back to an
additional ad network (if any are enabled in the app) if the ad request
fails.

So if you are going to use Amazon Mobile Ads in your app, I recommend enabling at least one other banner ad network (like AdMob)
to ensure a high fill rate around the world. More information on how
Andromo chooses which banner ad network to use can be found in the Monetization knowledge base article.

It is also important to note that Amazon Mobile ads will display on
Kindle tablets as well as all other Android smart phones and tablets, as
shown in the above screen shots. This means that you don’t have to worry if your install base on the Amazon Appstore isn’t as large as your Google Play install base.

Other than that Amazon Mobile Ads represent a great way for Andromo developers to increase the revenue generation potential of their apps, and get a free Kindle Fire HD.

Good Luck!

Comments

• Be a hero! Please help us spread the word on this one.

The original blog post is located here:

http://blog.andromo.com/2013/free-kindle-fire-hd-for-andromo-developers/

If you could tweet that out, post on Google+, Facebook, your blog, etc., we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Colin @ Andromo
  • You guys rock, thanks so much!!! :)
  • Is andromo, requesting ads from admob first and then aamazon if both are enabled, or is it equally allocated.

Also, 
    Just wanted to clarify, Amazon actually says 500 ad request and not :
    "Send at least 500 ad requests from those apps every week from September 15th through October 19th."
    Thanks
  • We randomly select from the banner ad networks you have enabled. So, if you have AdMob, Amazon and Mobpartner setup, there is a 33% chance for each network to be chosen and fall back to another network if the request fails.
  • And yes, read the Terms and Conditions on Amazon's site as noted above for all the details.
  • edited August 2013
    I am going through the process now of uploading my details to amazon app store - its asking me to upload a binary file ?!?

What is a binary file ?!? anyone?
  • binary is .apk
  • edited August 2013
    OK so I have two of my apps on the Amazon Store, I have done everything within the instructions ie) 

1) Create Amazon Acc
    2) Get Application ID
    3) Enter ID in Monetization Tab, enable Amazon Ads.
    4) Target Market for App = Amazon Store
    5) Build and upload to Amazon

Am I missing something here - My ads are just not showing in my apps!

My apps are on Amazon, I can see them - so...

Anyone got any ideas as to why my ads don't show?

• They only show in us. They will not show anywhere else as far as I know
  • @tamworthheat as @ianmarkjen mentioned, and as the post explains, Amazon Ads are only available in the US, so you should ad another Ad network to to provide an ad when Amazon cannot:

The only issue to be aware of is that Amazon Mobile Ads currently only serve impressions to U.S. users. You can still sign-up if you live outside of the U.S. (like me) but the ads themselves will only be delivered to those within the U.S. This isn’t that big of a deal for Andromo developers because Andromo apps will always fall back to an additional ad network (if any are enabled in the app) if the ad request fails.

So if you are going to use Amazon Mobile Ads in your app, I recommend enabling at least one other banner ad network (like AdMob) to ensure a high fill rate around the world. More information on how Andromo chooses which banner ad network to use can be found in the Monetization knowledge base article.

• Amazon has been great for my app - 200 installs in the first 5 days and counting at a steady rate, is really good performance for one of my apps.  I recommend everyone to get on Amazon!

• Is everyone on track for their free kindle Fire? Only a couple of days left now, I found it pretty easy to meet their conditions but I must say I'm disappointed with their ad revenue compared to admob ( less than 10% of the revenue for a comparable number of impressions).
    I'll probably switch back exclusively to Admob once the offer is over - especially as we can now include interstitials :)
  • @corrsea: My eCPM is about the same on Amazon.
  • I'm on track for the kindle as well. My ecpm is also about the same, but the fill rate is about 50% so its like earning half.
  • The fill rate is probably low due to people using your app outside of the US, since Amazon ads only have fill there. That's why you should always have a backup ad network in there to show ads when Amazon misses.
  • edited October 2013
    has anyone been contact from amazon? I am waiting for their email or something.
  • Well, I got the required amount of Ad requests (in fact I smashed it! Instead of the 500/wk I've been getting 8000).
    My only concern is where it says "Number of kindles to ship is good whilst stocks last".  
    Obviously you americans will get first dibs but I hope us Brits are next in line!

Cant Wait!
  • I have not heard anything from Amazon myself. Hopefully they will update this week with some information.
  • Did anyone actually make more with Amazon than Admob? Just looking at the last week, I made as much in an average day with Admob as it took all week to make with Amazon. I guess now that the promotion period is over, it's time to switch back to Admob exclusively (and turn on interstitials at the same time).
  • @tholyoak Amazon performed quite well for me compared to some of the other at networks out there. It's hard to compare/compete with AdMob, especially since my apps are relatively new to Amazon.
  • edited October 2013
    I have noticed it takes a while for the Ad Clicks to really start to kick in.  I have now (after being on Amazon since July) just started to get some good returns.  When people click, I get a good return.

I have HEAVILY customised which Amazon Ad categories are shown, there is too much "general" stuff on there.  Since then, my returns have been much higher.

The only thing with Amazon Ads is (obviously) they only show Amazon items.  This doesnt go well with some of my apps, but my Celebrity Apps Ads have good rates.
  • edited October 2013
    @tamworthheat: Interesting info. Did you also filter any ads on AdMob? I thought I'd have a go with it, but then decided not to change anything.

In percentage terms, how much more did you make, if you don't mind sharing?
  • Yes, in fact i think the customise categories in admob work very well but are only a few options.
     I always ensure certain type of ads are not included, for me it's; Religion, Dating, Age related etc...

• My percentages are very low in those categories (less than 2%), so I left them in. I didn't filter anything, but I saw some guys on other forums reporting better numbers with filtering enabled - however, it was somewhere in the 5% to 10% area.
  • yeah about 15% average increase after i customised the ads

• I found this on Amazon's website: "Thank you to all developers who participated in our free Kindle Fire HD
    promotion by integrating the Amazon Mobile Ads API into your app(s).
    Qualifying developers will be notified using the email address
    registered on the Distribution Portal starting the week of October 21,
    2013 on how to claim the new Kindle Fire HD." ( https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/mobileads.html )

Has anyone heard from them yet? (I haven't, and I'm afraid of it ending up getting overlooked in my spam folder or something.)

• I have written to amazon and asked. Here the reply, fyi:
    Thank you for writing in. As stated by you we have started emailing qualified developers starting 21st Oct week.

All qualifying developers will receive an e-mail starting week of October 21, 2013 and terminating on Nov 30th, 2013 detailing the fact they have qualified, asking where they want the unit shipped to and other details.

If you are qualified, then you will receive an email.
    So, nothing to worry about, since it still might take a while :-)
  • Thanks, @sylviathewitch! :) This clears up a lot for us. I should be qulified, too, and I can't wait to get that Kindle. :)